Saturday, June 8, 2013

I Miss His Arm

I never thought I would be saying these words....but I really do miss his arm. I mentioned in my last post Brice had an injury to his shoulder that will require surgery. That will be later this week. We have been told the recovery will be about 3 weeks, so that's really not too bad considering.

Yes, he has another one but it always seems to be on the wrong side lol. I guess it's just not our norm.

Now that I have learned my backside will not be spared due to his injury I cannot wait to have it fixed. 

All kidding aside, there are so many things we take for granted each day when it comes to an HoH's arm....

That was the arm that laid across me while I fell asleep at night.

The arm that pulled me back to him if I strayed away in bed during the night, then held me against him.

The arm that reached out for his hand to grab the back of my neck to let me know he has me in a crowd.

The arm that allowed his hand to rest on the small of my back to guide me in the right direction.

The arm that wrapped around my shoulders as he stands behind me to tell me secrets in the kitchen (some I don't want to hear but still ;))

The arm that would allow his hand to reach out and grab mine to pull me along in a time crunch.

The arm that tucked me under and pulled me tight against him just letting me know how safe I was in my spot beside him.

Don't get me wrong....I am very thankful to have him here with me on a daily basis, I know what it is like for him to be away on business...

But I really do miss his arm.


Update:
Thank you for all of your well wishes, it really means a lot to us, and I am happy to report a turn of events.

At the last minute we had what amounted to a second opinion and Brice did not have to have surgery. It was wonderful news, but at the same time frustrating that if he had been given the proper sling originally we would only be looking at one more week recovery....instead of FOUR!

The doctor looked at me and said....anytime he tries to use that arm you just slap it down okay?

LOL

My response?

Oh don't you worry, I will be happy to. :)  (which earned me one of those looks we have all learned to recognize)

14 comments:

  1. Betsy,

    I just smiled with my chin in my hands and heaved a big sigh as I read this. I love it. And it's totally understandable too.

    I hope his recovery weeks go quickly for you.

    ((hugs))
    Cali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, exactly what Cali said. I smiled and sighed and can hear the emotion in all of it.

    Just think Betsy, after surgery he will need to do lots of rehab and you will be right there to "help" him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betsy, :)

    This is a really beautiful post! Speedy recovery to your man! Lots of hugs!

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post! Hope the surgery goes well and maybe the next few weeks fly by for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really sweet Betsy:) I'm sure he's missing all those things right about now too. He'll be on the road to recovery before you know it though. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. Hope everything goes well with the surgery and he will be back "as your arm" in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet post Betsy. I too smiled and sighed reading this.

    I'm sure he is missing all those things too :) Hope the surgery and recovery goes well.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Betsy this was so sweet :)

    I know what you mean when they injure their dominant arm or hand. When H broke his fingers on his right hand, it was weird in lots of situations :(

    I wish him a quick recovery x

    ReplyDelete
  9. StrongMan has very large, muscular arms and large warm hands. I would miss that too. His hands often hurt a lot and I am always sad that he is in such pain. Healing prayers for your husband. <3

    sara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I loved this....but you know that :) It is amazing how we get accustomed to something without realizing how truly important it is to us....until it is gone. Here is hoping Brice's arm makes a speedy recovery....and gets right back to where it belongs <3

    ~Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those arms are great, aren't they? Can't wait for him to be recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a sweet and lovely post, Betsy. I know when Daddy is deployed I miss his hands the most. I actually took a picture of his hands once so that when he was deployed I could look at them.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post..I came across your blog while reading another and I'm glad I did, how sweet. I would feel the same way, I'm just not sure I would be as good at putting it in words.

    Sara:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet! After going through surgery and infection and blood clots with my guy In Jan and some of Feb....I KNOW exactly what you mean!!
    Happy arm recovery!

    ReplyDelete